Monday, March 13, 2017



Are We Listening or Hearing? It Matters!
Do you know Dr Judd? I used to. Actually her name is Dr. Jubb - J-U-B-B! But she's ok if you call her Dr. Judd - after I realized my error - a staff member told me that it's been happening for years. I even wrote a story about Dr. Jubb in a Facebook ad - about how she likes our DTEK surgical staplers - and I referred to her as Dr. Judd - and shortly after I realized my error.

Listening is important - especially since I have spent most of my veterinary product sales career on the phone -listening. So, how did I mess up Dr. Jubbs name? That's simple - Judd is more common than Jubb - and we tend to go with the most familiar - and assume a lot. OK, great, so I'm like most people. I was probably also a little self conscious about clarifying the proper spelling - most of us are. 

You may notice that I haven't used another word closely associated with listening - hearing. Actually, I think that hearing is the problem. My problem - and a problem universally. Those of us who are fortunate to have a functioning auditory system are busy hearing all day. I heard her name, or I thought I did - and that was sufficient for me. We hear things all day - but are we really listening?  
I found this little inspirational posting - and thought it profound enough to share with you. Actually - the graphic is pretty deep too, because it depicts a lot of technological methods for hearing - but ultimately- listening is up to each of us - and it seems that the more ways to hear each other - the less we listen to each other. Veterinarians, maybe pediatricians and then maybe the greater medical profession have to be great listeners. They even have to listen to that which is not said. Wait a minute - I want a piece of that too - I'm a human being, a husband, father, grandfather, neighbor, congregant, citizen - and probably many more 'titles' which demand that I be on my top listening game. Do we hear a concert - or listen? Is it enough to hear another person - or listen? Hearing is a wonderful gift - and listening is the best way to use it.

The more I think about it - listening is so deep. I mean it takes a lot to listen to another person. Especially when you differ. If we listened more - would there be more peace? My wife, a Pre-K teacher of 25 years says that when a child acts out - it's a lot about them not being able to verbalize their emotions - and it's up to the teacher to really listen and not simply react - ie. punish. 

That's what's going on in my head. I'd love to hear your thoughts - I'm thrilled to read them if you want to share with other readers - all call me - I'll listen!
All the Best,
Simon









2 comments:

  1. I hear ya... i mean- that was great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I found a typo, gotta fix it tomorrow. Appreciate you reading my blog.

      Delete

HI - Write your Write ON! entries here and I will paste it into the main page.